squareconverse

Akrasia Reading

Gerard's Beauty (Kingdom #2) ; Marie Hall

Gerard's Beauty - Marie Hall

I have to say I am really liking this series. It isn't anything just blow-your-socks-off amazing, but it's short, simple, and cute. Just to say after reading the first book and it's weirdness, this one was really great. The words no longer seemed all weird in places, though there were still a few bumps in the road.

A classic spin on Beauty and the Beast, Gerard, known for sleeping around with many women, has finally done it. He slept with the wrong person; the king's daughter. The only way he could get out of death is to go to earth, find his mate, and make her fall in love with him. He, however, does not have to fall in love with her, and has only one month to do so. Betty, the single librarian just coming out of a horrible breakup, and is not looking for any relationships, especially not with a playboy who is guaranteed to break her heart. Does she take the chance, to love someone that could be such a beast, and if she does, will he stay once he no longer has to?

Gerard was easy to love, and while he comes from the story Beauty and the Beast, I'm pretty sure he is not actually in the fairy tale. It's been a while though, so don't take my word for it. (At first I thought he was the guy constantly after Bell, and hunted the beast, who I forgot the name of, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.) Betty is a little silly at times, but she does in a strange was remind me of Bell, though not strongly. As it should be, I suppose.

I didn't have many dislikes with this book, but there was nothing that really just stood out that made it great. Seemed a little long and repetitive at times, but their love didn't feel rushed, despite the small size of the book. With a little hint that another side character, who seemed to me be more interesting then the last ones read, will be in the upcoming books, it wants to make me read more. Though, once again, aside from two other characters it seemed like Gerard and Betty were the main focus almost too much so. We never really learned much more about her ex, other then she couldn't stand him. We knew little about Betty's brother, but did know a little bit more about his son. Eh, can't complain much though.

Overall, this book is a quick (though at times it seems slow) read, and pretty enjoyable. With hope, I will read more of Marie Hall's books in the future, and recommend this series to anyone who wants something small, but cute, including fairy tale characters/plots.